Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage and trim off the thick parts of the leaf. Add leaves and 1 tsp. salt to boiling water. Cook just until the leaves become pliable. Drain and allow to stand a few minutes to cool a little bit.
Combine the onions, garlic, ground meat, rice, eggs, pepper and 1 tsp. salt. and mix well. Place about 1/3 cup of this mixture into each leaf. Fold the sides of leaf over this stuffing, roll up from the thick end of the leaf to make a neat roll. Tuck in the sides to make a nice little bundle. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam-sides down in a greased shallow 3 quart baking pan. Single layer then.
Combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, lemon jucie and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Mix well and then pour over the cabbage rolls. ( Add saurekraut if you wish now to the tops of cabbage bundles.) Bring this to a boil on the top of the stove. Then sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes
** Great helpful hint. Put your head of cabbage in the freezer over night. The next day let it thaw. The leaves will be wilted and will peel real easily off the head for cooking.
1. Mix beef, 1 1/2 onions, 1 tomato, rice, salt and pepper and curry.
2. Cook onions in oil until soft.
3. Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and sugar and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer about 1 hour.
5. Scald cabbage leaves in water and drain.
6. Place about 2 tsp. of filling and close the edges of the leat tucking in the sides.
7. Place rolls in a pyrex, seams side down. Cover with sauce.
8. Cover Pyrex with foil and bake at 325 F for 1 1/2 hours.
9. If it starts to dry out add a little beef broth.
Back to My Recipes Page
Back to My Home Page
Back to Our Home Page