.
Bindon Manor
Axmouth (Bindon), Devon, England.

The Wyke's family
and 
other owners

This information must be checked by yourself for accuracy
.

Bindon Manor in the area of Axmouth, Devon,like many early houses, has a history which goes back further that we can be certain of, but the walls of the central block of the house have been verified as being twelfth century, and it is thought at this time it was a small castle which would have been fortified in some way.
Bindon Manor is probably one of the oldest sites of which we have knowledge in English History. Roman coins have been found near here dating from 49AD, but 1500 years before the Romans came there were agricultural settlements nearby. The old Iron Age fort of Hawksdown, visable across the valley, was occupied by cattle-farming people who lived here about 200 years before Christ.
The Axe Valley may have been a frountier to the tribesmen of Devon, Dorset, and Somerset, and when the Romans conquered these people they established roadways like the Fosseway, which is believed to have started at Axmouth. These roads replaced the old ridgeways which crossed the countryside on the upper parts of the hills. The Great Ridgeway runs parallel to the sea just south of  Bindon Manor. It is now a tarmac/bituman road.
When the Romans left England unprotected in 442AD, the Saxons had already begun raids on East Anglia.
In the year 611AD, Cynegils recieved the kingdom in Wessex and held it for 31 years.
In the year 614AD, the Saxons, Cynegils and Cwichelm fought at Beandum also read as Beamdune and killed 2065 Welsh. It is now refered to as the Battle of Bindon.
Later the tribes of Dorset were taken into the Saxon kingdom of Wessex. The Saxons did not occupy the whole of Devon until 658AD.
The Bindon Manor of Saxon times was part of the Royal Manor of Axmouth, in Devon, which belonged to the Saxon kings. Alfred the Great left the Manor to his younger son, Athelweld, when he died in 901AD. 
[What was Bindon Manor called in the times of Alfred the Great and his son Athelweld  ????  -  author, John Day, Web Master]
Exeter had been sacked by the Danes early in Alfred's reign, and in his grandson's time, this was said to have been avenged by Athelstan's victory c937AD which may have been fought between Axminster and the sea. There is, however, some doubt as to where this battle was fought.
The Manor remained Royal up to the time of the Domesday survey in 1086AD, and the King had here "eight villeins, twelve borders and four servants".= [8 peasant farmers holding land from his lord who had to do a few days work per week for his lord to use the lords land, 12 peasant cottagers who used only a few acres but paid no rent, and 4 household servants] 
It was in the reign of Henry I, (Henry Beauclerc) (1086-1135)(reigned 1100-1135) that the 
Royal Manor of Axmouth in Devon, was given to Richard de Redvers, the Earl of Devon, and some years later in the reign of Henry II (1154-89) Richard de Redvers, the Earl of Devon, gave the Manor to the Abbey of Montebourg in Normandy.
Bindon Manor was not included in the grant to Richard de Redvers, and this suggests that it had already become an independant freehold on its own in the reign of Henry I.
In a book titled "Place Names of Devon", Bindon is noted in the area of Axmouth, the references are to this place as: Bendon 1238; Benedon 1311; Bynedon 1314; with the possable meaning "hill where beans grow" or old english for "hill of bees".
Crown Pleas of the Devon Eyre - Hundred of Axmouth - 1238 AD
            Peter de Bolonge, a servant of the Prior's was killed by a man from Axmouth called Robert de Bendone, who hid him in the sand. This happened one Saturday, in the Prior's wood, and as he did not return home he was looked for through the whole hundred till the following Thursday, when he was found on the sea shore by an Axmouth woman named Joan, with the whole hundred nearby. He was viewed by the coroner. Meanwhile Robert [de Bendone] fled with all the goods he had except for a little grain worth two shillings. The fugitive was appealed by the dead man's brother and Robert [de Bendone] was outlawed in the County Court. 
Philip de Bendone, the fugitive's Lord, should answer for the value of the corn as he was then the bailiff of the hundred.
[Baliff  =  in Medievil times was an officer under the Sheriff executing writs and processes, performing seizure of chattels to meet an obligation or obtain satisfaction by their sale, and arrests; he was an agent or steward of a landlord - he was the Sovereign's representative in a district, esp. chief officer of a hundred..... eg Hundred of Axmouth] 
Would not he; Philip de Bendone, have a substantial home for that period in the position that he held ???? 
[Does this then mean that this Philip de Bendone, was perhaps the Bindon or a descendant of, the original Bindon who lived at the Manor House and named it Bindon Manor; thus ????
I guess I have to take into account that the word de means of (of Bindon) and not, son of Bindon 
- author, John Day, Web Master] 
Bindon Manor - In 1314 AD, an inquisition of the lands of Richarde de Bindune describes the property as a "messuage and a carricate of land", but it is only from the start of the fifteenth century that a consecutive history can be found.

William Wyke (1), of North Wyke, married Katherine in 1370, daughter of and co-heir of John Burnell, Esq. of Cockatree, Devon. They had two children. Richard and Roger Wyke.
[Version 1] Nicolas Bach(e) had married Roger Wyke's mothers, sister. Nicolas Bach(e) died without any children and so it is said that he gave Bindon Manor to William Wyke of North Wyke.
William Wyke then gave Bindon Manor to his younger son, Roger Wyke.
[Version 2] Nicolas Bach(e), who is said to have owned Bindon Manor at the beginning of the fifteenth century, sold it in 1402 AD to a John Wyke, sheriff of Devon. 
This last sentence may actually mean that Nicolas Bach(e) was acting on the orders of King Henry IV. and did not actually own Bindon Manor but was acting as his agent. 
Roger Wyke married  Joan Bingham in 1406 and had a child named, John Wyke (1), he then married a second time to Jane,daughter and heir of Bisset, by whom he had  inherited the Radbours estate in Dorset during her life. His third wife was Jean Chasteleyne whom he may have out lived.
Roger Wyke accompanied --------, the Earl of Devon in the war of Henry V against France and fought again at Agincourt in 1415. He was member of Parliament for Plympton in 1413. 
Besides the manors of Bindon and Trent he owned lands in South Tawon, Crooke and elsewhere. He most probably inherited them from his mother's family, the Burnell's. 
He relinquished the Wyke arms:  Ermine, 3 battle-axes sable, and assumed the arms:  Argent, a Chevron, between 3 Barnacle Geese, Sable; of his mothers family but changed the cheveron.
See the shield at top of page
Henry V in his reign (1413-22) gave the Manor of Axmouth  to Sion Abbey.
(The Axmouth Manor had been returned to the ownership of the Crown since 1414AD when Henry V seized the French-owned monastic lands.)
He was buried in and had his effigy in Trent church, St. Andrew near Sherborne. He died prior to 1476.
It was probably he who did so much to change what must have been a rather bleak dwelling into a comfortable manor house of that period, and it was Roger Wyke who obtained a licence in 1425AD from the Bishop Edmund Lacy for the Chapel, of Bindon Manor which is off the main landing. The window (although not the glass, which is from the Victorian era) and the stone niche in the Chapel are original to that date, and if you look high up opposite the alter, you can see what must be the remains of a Norman window which was part of the old Castle.
John Wyke (1) married Joan, daughter of John Camill, sister and heiress of Roger Cammyl.of Shapwick. He had a son named John Wyke (2)
John Wyke (2) married Elizabeth, daughter of Lite, of Lites-Cary in Somerset. They had children John Wyke (3) and Richard Wyke.
John Wyke (3) married a daughter of Sir William Hody. They had a child named William Wyke. William Wyke(2) married a daughter of Cary and died without children
Richard Wyke, who was the brother of John Wyke (2) and Uncle of William Wyke (2) was the heir of Bindon Manor. Richard Wyke married a daughter of Somaster.
He had four daughters; ------, ------,  Alice and Mary.
The first daughter married Anthony Giffard, the second daughter married Mark Hays, 
Alice Wyke married Hugh Barry (decendant of Lord Barry, of Ireland) and 
Mary Wyke married Walter Erle (1) in 1549.
When Richard Wyke died, he left a quarter share of  Bindon Manor to each daughter.
Walter Erle (1), who served at Henry VIII's court, bought out a second part of Bindon from another sister. He also aquired the Manor of Axmouth in the time of Edward VI. 
Edward VI. granted the Manor of Axmouth to Walter Erle, Esq. in 1579AD  
Thus Bindon and the Axmouth Manor were brought together again.
This had been part of Katherine Parr's inheritance from Henry VIII.
The Erle's lived here for some time, and it was a grandson of the first Walter Erle (1) who was knighted by James I in 1616
Walter Erle (2) married and had Walter Erle (3)
Walter Erle, Sir, (3) represented Lyme Regis in Parliament and it was he who seized and garrisoned the town for the Parliamentary side in the Civil War. In the Parish Church at Axmouth, Sir Walter Erle put up a monument in memory of his wife, Dame Anne Erle, and Thomas Erle, their son, but Sir Walter Erle died at his other seat of Charborough, neer Poole, and was buried in the adjoining church. 
Bindon Manor ceased to be used as a manor house during the eighteenth century and became a farmhouse until approximately 1950
The Loveridge family own the house and have lived there since 1962
It is not know who lives there today - 1999

Back to Contents Page