The mysterious X
Appearances to date:
- The Host (implied)
- One Breath
- Fresh Bones
- End Game
- Soft Light
- X is rumuored amongst X-Philes to be of higher position than Deep Throat,
but is mainly reluctant to provide the services to Mulder that Deep Throat
- The mysterious X is decidedly more sinister than his predecessor Deep
- X is rarely seen clearly to be seen and is paranoid, tense and edgy
when he is. He has indicated that he doesn't want to end up like Deep Throat,
to whom he feels some loyalty (but not enough to get himself killed over).
This has led him to refuse Mulder or Scully's request for help.
- He is contacted by Mulder when Fox shines a light directly outside
his light, onto a 'X' taped across the window.
- In "One Breath", X has shown his capabilities of being a
cold-blooded murderer, when he cooly executes an operative after a vial
of Agent Scully's blood.
- In "End Game", Scully meets face-to-face with X and she asks
him to find Mulder. He rejects her offer.
- Assistant Director Skinner then confront him to extract the information
from him; here, X tells Skinner that he has 'killed men for much less than
- X shows his deceptiveness and betrayal of trust as he manipulates Mulder
into revealing the whereabouts of a research scientist (Dr. Banton), kidnaps
the scientist and turns him over to the very people that Dr. Banton feared
- At this particular point in time, he is undetermined whether he is
friend or foe to Mulder.
Interesting facts about Steven Williams, the man behind
- Steven Williams is ,according to his fellow actors, a total contrast
to his character. He is said to possess a disarming and ready laugh.
- He is best known for his 5 year role as Captain Fuller on the ever-popular
21 Jump Street. Thus, he knows the territory very well as 21
Jump Street was also shot in Vancouver most of the time.
- Williams landed the role at the last minute as a female had been originally
assigned to the part.
- Despite his congenial nature, Williams says he has no problem getting
himself into the stony frame of mind required to play Mr.X. "They
go 'Action' and BAM! I'm Mr.X. I'm just able to switch on and off like
that and trick people."
- Although the actor initially wanted to study the character, he maintained
the mystery in X "The less you know about him, the more interesting
- Acting put Williams in a lot of different places. Born January 7 in
Memphis, Tennessee, until age 9 he was raised principally by his grandparents,
living in a farming community where his grandfather was a baptist preacher.
- After a stint in the army, Williams worked as a shoe salesman in Chicago,
quitting his job in 1972 to begin modeling and later working with a children's
theater group. The modeling led to commercials, stage work, and eventually
two nominations for the Joseph Jeffereson Award.
- Though he loved the positive role model Captain Fuller provided, Williams
says he also enjoys the nasty streak he's allowed to exhibit on The
X-Files. Close friends have been most startled by the character, he
says, telling him, "Man, you've tapped into a dark side of yourself."
- Williams has done most of his work with David Duchovny, who he describes
as "a pleasant guy" if not exactly a drinking buddy.
- While he felt a bit constrained at the outset, Williams is pleased
with the way his role has unfolded and doesn't even mind the fact that
he plays one of the few recurring characters in primetime without a regular
Text excerpts from "The Official Guide to The X Files"
Return to CAST INFO menu ...