A SHORT SKETCH CONCERNING JAMES PITTMAN AND HIS SON, HON. GREEN PITTMAN, AND THE UNVEILING OF THE BRONZE MARKER TO THEIR MEMORY.

James Pittman, born in Amelia County, Virginia, March 4, 1756. was the 4th child of John and Mary (Rowe) Pittman, who came from Buckingham County, Virginia to Edgefield Dist., S.C., and later to Georgia prior to 1770.

Tradition says the Pittman family, this line, came from Wales. Pittmans have been among the first settlers in all 13 colonies; one is listed among the dead in Virginia in 1623.

James Pittman, with his father, John Pittman, and four brother, Buckner, John Jr., Phillip and Timothy, were soldiers in the Revolutionary War, where James Pittman rose to the rank of Lieutenant. When Georgia fell into the hands of the British, James Pittman returned to Virginia, where he met and married Martha Taylor. July 5th, 1781. She was the daughter of James and Nancy (Owens) Taylor, of the same lineage of President Zachary Taylor. They returned to Georgia, September 1788. Their three children were born in Virginia. Old letters, land grants, etc., prove that James Pittman owned large tracts of land in Franklin Co. which in 1796 became a part of the new County, Jackson, and in 1812 that portion where he lived was made part of another new county, Madison. He also owned a large tract of land in Wilkes Co. The old home once stood in sight of this spot, but was burned many years ago.

James Pittman did not retire to private life after the war, but took an active part in the affairs of his state. He was a delegate from Jackson Co. to the convention of 1795. The Convention which referred the question of repudiating the sale of the Yazoo land to the succeeding Legislature, and made provision for the Convention of 1798. He represented Jackson Co. in that Convention, of which George Smith, Historian says, "Was the largest and ablest that ever assembled in Georgia. They formed the Constitution that was not materially changed until after the War between the States."

He was appointed Judge of the Inferior Court of Jackson County, June 21st, 1796, by Gov, Jared Irwin, at that time a position of honor and distinction. He was a Justice of the peace in 1798, He was commissioned by Gov. Jared Irwin, Oct. 13th, 1798, as Captain in the Jackson Co. Militia. In 1799, Gov. James Jackson appointed him Judge of the Inferior Court, where he served until that part of Jackson County was cut into Madison in 1812, He represented Jackson County in House of Representatives in 1797-98-99. Was made a commissioner for the Jackson County Academy February 11, 1797, and in 1603. December 9th, was made Commissioner for the joint Academy of Clarke and Jackson Counties. Was a member of the Convention of 1633, from Madison Co., which met to reduce the members in the General Assembly. Was made Commissioner of Madison County Academy November 6th, 1812, represented Madison County in Legislature several terms. Pittman's Militia District in Madison County was named for him. He died December 25th, 1850, 94 years old, honored and respected by all. He and his wife reared a family of 13 children, whose descendants are now scattered all over the south and west.

His grave which we have marked today with the Bronze Marker of the U.S. Daughters of 1812 is also marked with the Government Marker of the Revolutionary War. This was secured through the efforts of two of his great-granddaughters, Mrs. J. H. Hardwick, Cleveland, Tenn., and Mrs. C. K. Henderson, in 1912. The stone wall was built by the family slaves. Martha Taylor Pittman, wife of James Pittman, died in May 1850; during that summer James Pittman had his slaves build this rock wall enclosing her grave and that of his daughter Martha and her husband, Abner Wells. This marker was not properly set in cement in 1912, and some years later, William Owen Davis (My great Uncle) of Gainesville, Texas, a great-grandson of James Pittman, visited the cemetery, seeing that the wall was falling to pieces and that his great- grandmother's grave was unmarked, he generously and lovingly procured a marker for her grave, at his own expense, A year later he returned to Georgia had the marker placed over the grave of Martha Pittman, and the Government Marker for James Pittman cemented, the wall reset and firmly cemented. The family owe a debt of gratitude to William Owen Davis for this service.

JOHN GREEN PITTMAN

John Green Pittman was a son worthy of his sire. Born in Virginia October 2nd, 1782, coming to Georgia with his parents in September 1788. He grew to manhood and married Mary Moore, January 24, 1804, dying, October 7th, 1873, leaving a large family. like his father he too was active in the affairs of his country and state.

He represented Jackson County in the Convention of 1853. In the House of Representatives from Jackson County in 1833-34-35-36. He was Judge of the Inferior Court of that County from 1835-36-37. Was Ordinary of the County 1853-59, Was a delegate from the County to the secession Convention in 1861.

He was Major in the 53rd Battalion, Georgia Militia from February 15th, 1810 to June 23rd, 1814, when he was made a Lt. Col. He was a man of prominence in his county and had large property investments.

[NOTE: This document was apparently a talk given at the laying of bronze markers on the tombs of these Pittmans.]