LAMA (LLAMA & ALPACA) CARE
- Lamas should be fenced with 5-6 foot high fence to keep
- Lamas need shade in summer and shelter in winter.
- Lamas enjoy (& may need, depending on where you are) a
wading pool or sprinkler in summer.
- Lamas should always have fresh water.
- Lamas are vaccinated once or twice per year.
- Lamas are dewormed 2 to 12 times per year depending on your
- Lamas toenails need to be trimmed about every 1-2
months depending on the terrain.
- Lamas eat grass, hay, grain & enjoy raw treats such as
carrots, apples, turnip, potato peel, corn husks, etc.
- Lamas should also be given a mineral supplement
- Lamas should be shorn every year depending on the climate and
- Suri alpacas may need a coat in winter since their fibre does
not cover their spine very well & is not as warm as huacaya fibre.
- Male lamas' fighting teeth should be cut off if penned with