LATEST NEWS: 8 December 2000
· State has earned a return trip to the MicronPC Bowl in Ft. Lauderdale! The Wolfpack football team won the NC state championship outright in November:
Ø State beat Wake Forest 32-14 by scoring 29 unanswered points.
Ø State beat Duke 35-31 with an 80-yard scoring drive in the closing minutes.
· The football team’s performance resulted in a number of post-season awards, including:
Ø Levar Fisher was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, an award usually claimed by Florida State.
Ø Phillip Rivers was named ACC Rookie of the Year, continuing an amazing streak of Wolfpack victories in this category.
· The men’s basketball team is off to a 5-2 start in Herb Sendek’s fourth year as head coach. Notable victories include:
Ø State beat Penn 77-64 in the first annual CoSida Classic, held at the Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena.
· State’s success under Sendek has resulted in a number of promising developments:
Ø Sendek was granted a contract extension to coach the Wolfpack through 2005.
Ø Julius Hodge, one of the nation’s top recruits, committed to State recently, giving Sendek the top recruiting class in the ACC.
· The Wolfpack women are off to their typical promising start, with a number of big wins early in the season:
Ø State beat Georgia Tech in the conference opener for both teams.
Ø State beat South Carolina 55-48 behind Tynesha Lewis’ 21 points.
Ø State beat Arizona State 54-51 to win the championship of the Rainbow Wahine Classic preseason tournament.
For previous news updates, see the archives.