Born on December 24, 1945 in Durham, North Carolina.
Marital status: Divorced, separated.
I have four children.
Served in the United States Navy on active duty from April 1966 to April 1970. Duties included general shipboard maintenance, two separate assignments in food services, and approximately 3 1/2 years in the electronics shop. In the electronics shop I ordered repair parts and materials, performed occasional maintenance work and field changes to radio equipment, maintained the technical library, did general office work for the electronics repair officer, and helped to maintain personnel records for the men in my division pertaining to their wo rk in the electronics shop. I made two cruises to the Mediterranean Sea and two to the Caribbean Sea. I stood various guard duties on ship and on land.
- Norfolk State University, Norfolk, Virginia. Took some classes in the Master's in Music Education program in the Fall Semesters of 1988 and 1998.
- Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia. Graduated in December 1974 with a Bachelor's degree in Music Education. - Ferrum Junior College, Ferrum, Virginia. Graduated in June 1972 with an Associate of Arts degree in Music.
- Florida Presbyterian College, St. Petersburg, Florida. Attended from September 1964 to December 1965.
- John Marshall High School, Richmond, Virginia. Graduatedd in 1964. Extracurricular activities included Drama Club, Chess Club, Spanish Club, Chorus, Track and Field Team, and Wrestling Team.
- During Jr. High and High School I worked for my father in his business of manufacturing testing equipment for Psychology labs in colleges. My duties included electronic wiring, use of various metal and woodworking machines, typing and filing, painting, shipping, and mechanical drawing.
- September 1964 to December 1965. While at Florida Presbyterian College, I helped operate the language lab. My duties included general maintenance of tape recorders and tapes, recording of language programs, and organizing of the program tapes.
- January 1966 to April 1966. Soda fountain of a drug store in Richmond, VA. Prepared lunches, drinks, ice cream, etc.
- Summers of 1972 - 1974 and winter of '73-'74. Hanging sheetrock in new construction projects.
- January to July of 1975. Worked in my father's business while also doing substitute music teaching in local Junior High and High Schools in the Richmond, Virginia area.
- July 1975 to April 1977. Worked at two music stores in Roanoke, Virginia. Sold musical instruments and accessories, travelled to schools in a 50 mile radius collecting instruments for repairs, did musical instrument rental programs in local schools, ordered merchandise, bid on instrument sales to schools, and sold and delivered pianos.
- July 1977 to April 1979. Electrician at Norfolk Shipbuilding and Drydock Company. Duties included general shipboard wiring and repairs, and installation of wiring on piers, cranes, and in the shops.
- From 1975 to 1979 I also was an Amway distributor. My duties involved selling Amway products in homes and businesses while also recruiting and training other distributors.
- April 1979 to April 1996. I served as a missionary with The Evangelical Alliance Mission, P.O. Box 969, Wheaton, Illinois, 60189. Supervisor: Gary Bowman, telephone (708) 653-5300. As a missionary my assignments were the following:
- August 1979 to July 1981. My first wife and I were dormparents in a residence for 30 boys in 9th through 12th grade at an American boarding school in Venezuela. I supervised the boys' weekly work day, counseled and helped them with their school work and personal problems. I did some music teaching in the school, and was generally in charge of maintenance of the building and grounds on our block of property. I was a member of the executive committee which dealt with new student applications, maintenance, and discipline.
- July 1981 to July 1984. Fund raising, Bible and language studies in the USA. Taught music at the Rio Grande Bible Institute in Edinburg, Texas. Part time piano tuning and repairs.
- July 1984 to July 1987. Pastor of a small congregation in eastern Venezuela. Duties included teaching, preaching, organizing outreach activities, camps, retreats, and social activities, inter-church pastoral meetings - all in the Spanish language.
- July 1987 to April 1996. Music teacher at Ebenezer Bible Institute in western Venezuela. Duties included directing the Institute Choir, teaching classes in music, Bible history, audiovisuals, marriage and family orientation, teaching private lessons on various musical instruments, field supervision of intern pastors, organizing the monthly maintenance day, computer selection and purchase, promotional tours to churches with the school choir or small ensemble, counseling students who were music majors, organizing weekly chapel programs, weekly faculty meetings in which we dealt with policy, discipline, and academics - this all in the Spanish language.
- From 1992 to 1994. Served on the board of directors of a Venezuelan church, which sometimes involved my leading the board meeting and officiating the congregational business meeting. I would also occasionally preach the sermon on Sunday.
- August 1995 to March 1996. Served as the financial secretary (treasurer) of the regional church association. (About 30 churches.)
During the time I was a missionary, I also did the following:
- 1979 to 1996. Composed and mailed out a quarterly newsletter to a mailing list of approximately 300 people who were interested in our ministry.
- During approximately three years I served on a committee which did strategic planning for starting new mission works within the country. This included personnel considerations, financing, housing, and overseeing the initial months of the new work.
- Once, I organized, planned, and supervised the annual week long conference for our 100 missionaries in Venezuela.
- July 1988 to July 1989 (Our scheduled one year home assignment with TEAM) I was choir director at Norfolk Christian High School, 255 Thole St., Norfolk, Virginia. Also drove a school bus.
- November 1994 to February 1995 (Another scheduled one year home assignment) Worked part time for Miami Aircraft Support at Palm Beach International Airport, West Palm Beach, Florida. Duties included sorting UPS packages and operating various pieces of machinery to assist in the loading and unloading of the UPS packages.
- February 1995 to March 1995. Group leader in the special census of West Palm Beach. Duties included training sixteen employees in U.S. Census Bureau methods, and supervising eight of them in their field assignments. I checked their hour and pay sheets and dismissed them when their job was done, or if they were not fulfilling expectations.
- August 1997 to July 1999. Taught group piano lessons at Norfolk (Va.) Recreation and Parks' Music and Dance School.
- June 1996 to July 1999. Owner of A-1 Piano Service, serving Hampton Roads, Va. with piano tuning and repairs.
- May to July 1999. Taught private piano lessons at Jordann Kitt's Temple of Music, Virginia Beach.
- November 1999 through January 2000. File clerk for the Clerk of the 15th Circuit Court, Delray Beach, Florida.
- April through July 2000. Enumerator for the U.S. Census Bureau in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- August 1999 to present. Proprietor of A FINE TUNE, offering beginning piano lessons, piano tuning and repairs. Presently serving as secretary of the Palm Beach Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.